Sunday, March 16, 2008

Lots of Great News


Amazon.com Listing



Woo-hoo! Amazon now has Healing Wounds, my vampire romance for sale! It’ll be in stock soon. They just ordered a batch. Yay! Check out the book that Romantic Times BOOKreviews describes as “frightening.” Oh, yeah – you’d better sleep with the lights on after reading this dark romance. Who says romance can only be fluffy and sweet? Enjoy shivers of both types.

For more lovely reviews of Healing Wounds and my other babies, check out the News page of my website.



Masquerade of the Cursed King Reviewed in RT



Four stars, baby! That’s right, and from Romantic Times BOOKreviews that’s great. They don’t give fives to eBooks. I don’t know why, but it makes me even more ecstatic over the four stars. (Thank you!)

Check out their April issue for a review of Masquerade of the Cursed King, and their March issue for a review of Healing Wounds.










Might be Moving



Due to the housing market crash, the fam and I will probably move back to California this upcoming fall. We’d hoped to sell this year so as not to pay a mortgage and rent, but that’s not gonna happen. So, the only other option is to head back.

It’ll be nice to have sun again, but I’m going miss the Oregon coast. We’ll just have to drive two hours to the beautiful California beaches to get our briny fix.






Great Workshop Last Weekend & My Alternate Identity



I went to a great writing workshop in Portland last weekend. Previously, I’d just read one of the presenter’s books. Gunshot Grange by Heather Hiestand was a nice dark read. I enjoyed it so much that I reviewed it, using my alternate identity, of course. J

Vanity tempts me to put my own name on everything, but that would get me into trouble when reviewing other authors’ books. A few lash out vindictively when others won’t gush only with praise over the works of their heart. Not everyone realizes that reviews, even the ones that list negatives, are still an honor. Roughly 50% of review requests go unfulfilled because there aren’t enough reviewers. So I’m incredibly thankful when my own books receive a review, even if the reviewer doesn’t match my opinion.

Review ratings vary anyway, usually by a star in either direction, but sometimes you’ll get outliers. Masquerade of the Cursed King received mostly fives and fours, a three and an actual zero. There’s no reason to retaliate against the reviewer who gave my baby a zero; it just didn’t suit her individual tastes, in the same way that Westerns do nothing for me.

I know what you’re thinking, but no, I’m not allowed to review my own books. If only. (sigh)






My Column



I forgot to tell you all that I have a new column - The Pampered Reader! It’s in Night Owl Romance’s magazine. Yay! This month, my column featured a how-to guide on stalking authors. Completely as a joke. Check out what gear you’ll need and where to find your favorite authors.

Next month’s article will feature fun conventions where readers can party, ogle at cover models, and load up on swag (free books and goodies). Subscribe for free at Night Owl Romance's forum.

3 comments:

Caffey said...

I saw the book up at Amazon! Congrats!!!! Its out of stock they say now (probably because it just came to print that they are awaiting until they arrive). So I have a notice to watch for it! Congrats again. Too on the review!! I hope that brings you more readers who haven't had the joy to read you yet! For me, I've always seen reviews as individual, so I look more into reviews to find new to me authors, genres, themes, etc. So they more for me as information because I do know that authors writing voices vary and what may be great for one may be not for another so I love to read excerpts and all for new authors to me. I'm babbling here, LOL. I so understand on the move. Its really tough now. Hugs!

Heather Hiestand said...

Thanks for the shout out! I'm glad you liked our presentation and I hope you don't have to move. I'll miss you!

Vanessa N. Gilfoy said...

Thanks, ladies! That's so sweet of you.

I like reviews for that reason also. :)

I'll miss you, too, Heather. I promise we'll see each other tons online, so much so that you'll get sick of me.