Thursday, November 1, 2007

NaNoWriMo....What?


I challenge you to NaNoWriMo. (If only I had a glove handy.) That's right. It's time to dust off your keyboards, PDAs, Alpha-somethings - whatever you use to jot what spews from your brain. November is the official novel writing month, in which everyone of every nation is challenged to write a 50,000 word novel/novella. So sign up at the official website - http://www.nanowrimo.org/. It begins today.

I know the rules say you can't use an already-started manuscript, but 50,000 words is a tad shy of a whole novel, so if you want to take out that unfinished WIP from under the bed, I won't tell anybody. The NaNoWriMo police won't knock down your door. How would they know you had a starting place for your 50,000 words? Go for it. I personally can't write a whole novel until the first chapter is just right. Chapter One sets the tone, style, characters, etc, so I think it needs a few drafts before diving into NaNoWriMo to write the rest.

Join the caffeine-powered, stress-sharing, deadline obsessing exerpience. I'll see you there.

No comments: