Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Mmmmmmh, Coffee

Ben just ran vinegar through the coffee maker last night, and OMG what a difference. Just brewing a fresh pot this morning of the dark goodness smelled amazing. It tastes richer today and that happy feeling floods through me faster than usual.

I've grown very fond of coffee, but that wasn't always the case. I used to despise it.

Up until the age of 18, I suffered asthma attacks from any sort of exercise, the cold, illness, etc. Caffeine used to be the prescribed treatment for asthma attacks. Even though I had an inhaler, my father made me drink coffee. The earliest I remember was when I was five years old on a small boat. I also get motion sick, btw, which only added to the misery.

A five year old's taste buds aren't suited to coffee. I grimaced and complained about that bitter flavor.

After I left for college, my asthma went away, probably because I was no longer exposed to second-hand smoke. My father was a heavy smoker. As much as he tried to quit, he filled our lungs with a horrible amount of tar and poisons.

It wasn't until I started teaching that I really needed something, anything to help me get through the 70+ hours of lesson planning, correcting, meetings, paperwork, and of course - teaching. The first two years of teaching are hell. Coffee kept me awake and from murdering the psychos who expected me to call with their teenager's daily homework assignments. Once I got the hang of teaching, I could work a normal 40 hour week and had learned to tell parents "no." Changing jobs or textbooks, however, always bumped me back to the 70+ hours. It takes a lot of planning to entertain and motivate teenagers to learn.

Don't get me wrong. I loved teaching, after the first two years. The kids were funny and enthusiastic and I was a great teacher. But it took a lot of coffee, so much so that I fell in love with coffee.

My favorite drink - an unsweetened latte from Starbucks.
Favorite brews - morning blends
The lighter the color, the higher the caffeine. Darker coffee beans have less caffeine, and are more bitter in flavor, even though they smell better.

2 comments:

Mandy Leigh B. said...

I had the same problems with asthma and motion sickness as a child, and still get motion sickness occasionally, so I feel your pain! I have never heard of caffeine for alleviating asthma symptoms- that is really neat. I LOVE coffee, but I am a lightweight- gotta have plenty of cream and sugar. I am definitely going to try the vinegar trick! Awesome tips!

Vanessa N. Gilfoy said...

You've gotta try Buckmaster Coffee's holiday mint coffee. It is so amazingly good that it doesn't need anything.